CIOB launches new open online course on Sustainable Construction and Development
The Chartered Institute of Building Academy is launching a new massive open online course (MOOC) on sustainable development. This follows the success of the first ever construction-focused MOOC which the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) ran last year, attracting more than 3000 construction professionals in over 100 countries.
The five-week interactive course, which opens next month, has been developed in partnership with London South Bank University, UK. The course is free and open to anyone working in the built environment sector globally. It has been designed specifically for those working in the industry, and anyone working in or studying construction and the wider built environment will find it useful as it focuses on what is arguably one of the most important issues facing construction today – sustainability within construction and development.
The course will cover:
- The complexities of sustainability in construction and development of built assets
- The important roles of innovations, professionalism, ethics, culture and procurement practices and regulations
- Environmental and economic sustainability and the roles of effective business cases, dynamics of networks and integrated delivery; and procurement practices
- Social sustainability in construction and the roles of construction processes, outputs and outcomes on people and society
- Lessons learned from good and best practices in sustainability, together with challenges and appropriate guidelines for implementation
Each week, leadership skills and critical thinking around sustainability issues will be developed as course participants reflect on interactive exercises and explore situations that are relatable to their everyday roles.
Professor Charles Egbu, Dean of School of the Built Environment and Architecture at London South Bank University and CIOB Senior Vice President, is among those who helped developed the new MOOC:
“Almost everything we do could be done more sustainably - it's all about the way we work, the way we live our lives and what that means for society. It's about responsibility for what we do for now and for the future. I very much encourage all construction professionals to be part and parcel of this course as you have the opportunity to learn much more about sustainability from both a theoretical and practical point of view. It's about you and the society you are part of – and what you could be part of creating for the future.”
Adrian Montague, Head of CIOB Academy, added:
“The CIOB has been delighted to be able to work with London South Bank University to open up the global conversation on sustainability in construction with this free course. We hope this brings sustainability to the front of the minds of those involved with the construction or use of buildings.
Since its inception in 2016, the Academy has provided practical courses for construction professionals. This new course is another example of our commitment to developing the future leaders in construction by offering access to the latest thinking on key topics. The CIOB Academy’s Sustainable Construction and Development MOOC is the second in our series and is freely open to professionals across the industry. I would welcome businesses and industry bodies sharing this course widely, helping to make a powerful, positive difference to the sustainability standards of constructors.”
The topics are brought to life through social learning, questionnaires, videos, articles and quizzes. Participants will also have the opportunity to interact with each other and the course leader, tutors and contributors will be available online to answer questions and join discussions.
By the end of the course, participants should be able to demonstrate an understanding of the complexities of sustainability from generic and project specific perspectives and the obligations of stakeholders. They should also be able to evaluate the economic and social considerations of sustainability and their implications on construction processes and practices.
The MOOC on sustainable construction and development starts on 17 September 2018. More information about this course can be found online at: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/sustainable-construction-development/
Find out more about the CIOB Academy at: http://www.ciobacademy.org/
- ends -
NOTES TO EDITORS:
- The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) is the world's largest and most influential professional body for construction management and leadership. The CIOB holds a Royal Charter to promote the science and practice of building and construction for the benefit of society, and has been doing that since 1834.
- The CIOB accredits university degrees, educational courses and training. Their professional and vocational qualifications are a mark of the highest levels of competence and professionalism, providing assurance to clients and other professionals procuring built assets.
- CIOB members work worldwide in the development, conservation and improvement of the built environment.
- The CIOB is at the heart of a management career in construction.
Elaine Cooper, CIOB Press and PR - contact details below.
Saul Townsend, CIOB Head of Communications: firstname.lastname@example.org | +44 (0) 1344 630 766
The latest report from the Chartered Institute of Building puts the economic influence of the UK construction sector at almost double that of the...
The UK government has announced the introduction of an Immigration Bill to bring in a new points-based system for those wanting to work in the UK...
How the booming construction economy in Malta ensures quality throughout its infrastructure is at the centre of discussions between the Government...
Following yesterday’s reshuffle the Rt Hon Christopher Pincher MP has been appointed as Minister of State for Housing.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) released the latest data on construction output and UK gross domestic product (GDP) for Quarter 4 (...