The global search for photographic talent returns
Art of Building, the renowned built environment photography prize, run by the Chartered Institute of Building, will be open for entries on 19 October 2015.
Launched in 2010, the visually eclectic competition explores not only the beauty and quirks of architecture, but also the way that buildings relate to people and their surroundings.
The contest, which is free to enter and has a cash prize of £3,000, is open to anyone over the age of 18. Amateur and professional photographers compete on a level playing field. Pictures can be taken on any kind of equipment, from camera, to tablet or mobile phone.
Each year, Art of Building attracts thousands of entries from around the world. These are whittled down to shortlist of around 12 pictures by a team of professional judges from the world of art, photography and publishing. The overall winner is decided upon by public vote.
In previous years shortlisted pictures have appeared in major newspapers, magazines and international websites, including The BBC, Wall Street Journal, Guardian, Architects Journal, Dezeen and The Huffington Post, reaching millions of people.
This year’s competition is in four categories:
- Architecture: focusing on the design and style of the built environment, from tiny details to entire cityscapes
- Human interaction: telling the story of how people interact with buildings, whether living, working or playing alongside the built environment
- Nature and the built environment: exploring the relationship between man-made structures, people and nature
- Creative vision: pushing the boundaries of creative photography, entries are invited that give a unique and sometimes abstract perspective.
Saul Townsend from the CIOB said: “Now in its sixth year, Art of Building has become a unique showcase for talent, attracting entries from across the globe.
“Every year we receive images that bring new perspectives on the buildings and structures that surround us. From the creation to demolition, from minute detail to broad cityscape, the possibilities are infinite. We’re inviting all aspiring and professional photographers to unleash their creativity and astonish us once more.”
Art of Building is open for entries between 19 October and 29 November. For more information, tips and rules of entry log on to: www.artofbuilding.org. Pictures from last year’s finalists can be viewed at www.artofbuilding.org/gallery.
- Entries for Art of Building 2015 will be accepted between 19 October and 29 November.
- Public voting for the shortlist opens from December 18 and closes 23 January, 2016.
- The new Art of Building winner will be announced 8 February 2016.
The CIOB is supporting the new Construction Talent Retention scheme.
The CIOB has joined other organisations representing professionals in the built environment in issuing a letter to the Secretary of State for...
The CIOB has welcomed the UK Government’s draft Building Safety Bill, which outlines the first comprehensive reform of building safety regulations...
Datuk Seri Michael Yam FCIOB has been appointed Vice President of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) on 23 June 2020.