SummaryHot topics in Construction Law hosted by Ledingham Chalmers - Your legal issues answered!
Ledingham Chalmers will be your hosts at this CIOB Highlands & Islands Legal Workshop running on Thursday 8 June 2023.
We promise this won’t be a dry session focused solely on legal theory. Instead, the team, including construction lawyers Sarah Stuart and Jennifer Young, will use real-life, “hot topic” examples to show where these legal principles fit in, in practice: offering straightforward, sensible advice for those working in the sector.
They’ll draw on the expertise of Inverness-based colleagues specialising in health and safety, property, and employment law to work through examples including —
- project delays and interruptions (what happens when there’s an interdict?)
- which contract mechanisms help — and which don’t — and how best to use them when it comes to delays and payment
- what does the Building Safety Act 2022 mean in Scotland?
- what about the changes to the law of prescription — when do claims become time-barred?
- are collateral warranties construction contracts? — and why does that matter anyway?
If you sign up by 1 May, you’ll have the chance to pose any legal issues that are on your mind ahead of time, and we’ll try to incorporate the answers (anonymously) into the session.
You’ll also be able to quiz our panel of experts on the day.
If you are a CIOB member, make a note of your reflections after this session and record your CPD points. CIOB’s revised CPD policy asks members to focus on the ethical aspects of any learning they undertake. Today’s event, if you are in the audience, gets you 3 CPD points. Our speakers get 5 points, if they reflect on their learning .
Member Services and Events Coordinator – North and Highland & Islands