The sustainability agenda, though it continues to evolve and develop, will impact on every business going forward. Whether you are interested in the advent of carbon accounting on projects or the importance of water conservation in the future, the Sustainability Scholarship encourages a company to carry out research using one of its employees.
Established in 2013, the £3000 scholarship is awarded annually. The subject of the research must benefit both the individual company and the wider industry.
Companies must agree to host the scholarship before putting forward a possible candidate and will continue to pay their salary during the scholarship year. That candidate will then meet with experts every few months to receive support and mentoring, with a presentation, hosted by their company, to share their findings at the end of the 12-month scholarship period.
The research will also be considered for publication to a wider audience via our magazine Construction, Research and Innovation which goes out to directors and senior managers around the industry.
- Applications for the 2019/20 scholarships are now being accepted. Please follow the application instructions above.
The Application Process
- The aspiring candidate emails the CIOB with their CV and a brief report (approx. 500 words) expressing why they wish to become a scholar and their proposed research topic.
- If they pass this stage of the process, the candidate is invited for interview and gives a 10-15 minute PowerPoint presentation to a small panel of representatives from CIOB, the Worshipful Company of Constructors and the University College of Estate Management, followed by questions and answers.
- The successful candidate (scholar) will then meet with experts every few months to receive support and mentoring, with a presentation, hosted by their company at the end of the 12-month scholarship period, to share their findings.
- In addition, the scholar must also produce a bound report of 8,000-10,000 words, together with an abstract.
- UK only
Applications for the 2019/20 scholarships are now being accepted. Please follow the application instructions above.