What is your Art of Building? CIOB opens 2019 digital photography competition
Fancy yourself as a bit of a photographer? Passionate about the built environment? Then the Art of Building competition is the perfect platform for you to show off your talent.
It doesn’t matter if you’re rocking the latest Leica or are a dab hand at smartphone photography the competition is free to enter and open to anyone over the age of 18 from any part of the world. Run by the Chartered Institute of Building entrants can take part from 28 October until 25 November 2019. There are two cash prizes on offer £1,500 for the Judges Prize and £1,500 for the Public Choice winner.
Each year thousands of professional and amateur photographers take part inspired by the built environment and capturing it in thought-provoking and imaginative ways.
"The breadth of photography we see is amazing. From those who are revealing a little-known building to those showcasing a familiar icon in a new light," said Saul Townsend CIOB Head of Communications.
“Last year Yi Cherne Juang scooped the top prize using his iPhone 7. Voters were switched on by his architectural style which revealed the impressive interior scale of the Westfield World Trade Center in New York. It was a fantastic example of the increasing power of smartphone cameras in the hands of a talented photographer.”
Caroline Gumble, Chief Executive of the CIOB and part of the judging panel for this year, said: “I am proud to be involved in my first CIOB Art of Building competition. I’ve been so impressed by the quality of the entries in previous years and I can’t wait to see what’s submitted this year. As someone who can’t resist taking photos of buildings and construction sites and architecture, I know there must be lots of people out there with amazing and stimulating images to share.”
- The competition is free to enter and open between 28 October and 25 November 2019
- A panel of industry judges shortlist the entries to 12 finalists.
- There are two awards on offer. The £1500 Judges Prize, chosen by the Judges, and the £1500 Public Choice Award chosen by the public through an online vote.
- Up to three photographs per person may be entered into the competition across the categories
- Entries may be digitally enhanced or altered but must be submitted via the website in a JPEG format between 2mb and 8mb per photo. Entries will not be accepted outside of the advertised closing date or if they are embedded with borders or locks
- The competition is now in its tenth year
- For more details about the competition and to enter, log on to www.artofbuilding.org.
- The competition can also be found on Twitter at http://twitter.com/Art_of_Building or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/ciobartofbuilding
The Chartered Institute of Building’s Global Student Challenge has now opened for registration for the 2020 competition.
CIOB's comment on today's ONS data on GDP for July to September 2019
Run by the Chartered Institute of Building entrants can take part from 28 October until 25 November 2019.
CIOB responds to the Housing Minister's announcement on funds to support the use of modern methods of construction (MMC).